One Optimized Chemistry Strategy
Labs generally have an assortment of (q)PCR cyclers in their labs. The cycler assortment can consist of the same cycler model and brand, different models of the same brand or different models from different brands.
Regardless the (q)PCR cycler assortment composition, one can benefit from a smart but common sense strategy which is based on the described facts:
- (q)PCR cyclers do either use Low Profile or Regular Profile products, whereas some can handle both.
- The conical reactions part of Low Profile and Regular Profile products are identical.
- Different disposables suppliers provide products which differ in raw material, binding and chemical characteristics compositions.
- (q)PCR cyclers do vary, even within the same model and brand, in temperature and optical performances.
- Beside BIOplastics, no other company provides a complete range of (q)PCR disposables serving any model and brand of (q)PCR cyclers.
- BIOplastics (q)PCR products are composed of the same raw materials.
- All BIOplastics products are interchangeable with each other (just like LEGO bricks).
With the knowledge mentioned above one can benefit from better lab performance and maximize accuracy, uniformity, and reproducibility, whereby interchangeability between of protocols and instruments are normalized.
This is how it works:
Outcome: One chemistry, one raw material, a maximum of two products which give identical results regardless your cycler assortment.
- Select your preferred work format e.g. Tear Off Tube Strip Mat, Cut-able plate. Let’s assume Tear Off Tube Strip Mat.
- Select your most sensitive (q)PCR reaction.
- Select your “best (q)PCR instrument” and check if it handles Low Profile or Regular Profile product. Let’s assume Low Profile.
- Run your protocol using BIOplastics’ selected format, Tear Off Tube Strip Mat, Low Profile on the “best (q)PCR instrument” and judge your results.
- If satisfied continue to the next step, if not optimize your reaction until you are satisfied.
- Now use the same Tear Off Tube Strip Mat, or a part of it for all other cyclers which can handle Low Profile (0.1 ml) vessels. For some cyclers you may opt to use a Shell Frame Grid to position the Tear Off Tube strip mat or part of it.
- If your other cyclers can not handle Low Profile (0.1 ml) vessels just select BIOplastics Regular Profile variant of the Tear Off Tube Strip Mat.
- Use the same Regular Profile Tear Off Tube Strip Mat, or a partition of it for any other cycler which can handle Regular Profile (0.2 ml) vessels. For some cyclers you may opt to use a Shell Frame Grid to position the Tear Off Tube Strip Mat.
- Since the raw material is the same your results should be exactly the same.
- In case your results are reproducible but not the same, you proved that the cycler performance of the used cyclers are not identical.
- If is the case, contact CYCLERtest BV or its distributor and calibrate both Cyclers under ISO17025 condition and standards.
- Use the outcome of both calibrations and adjust one cycler program to perform identical to the other cycler. By doing so you normalize all your cyclers. See also guideline in appendix page 143.